CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 26, 2007

A few updates

First of all, I'll explain all the kitty pictures below....last week we had to put our darling Louie to sleep unexpectedly ;( He was only a year and a half old, and seemed purrrrfectly healthy up until the day before we put him down. He contracted a rare disease called Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP) that 95% of all cats are immune to and fight off before it can harm them. There's no vaccine and only a few cats don't have the ability for some reason to fight it. By the time symptoms surface, they are just about gone, unfortunately. Louie was running around like normal Saturday, breathing funny on Sunday, and looked awful last Monday morning. His breathing was labored and shallow and Ted and I took him to the vet before work, thinking it was allergies or maybe asthma, something easily fixed. After doing an X-ray, the vet said his lungs were filled with fluid and that the disease is fatal, and Louie was obviously suffering. We had to make a quick decision, and decided to put him to sleep rather than delay the inevitable. It was an awful, awful morning and caught us by complete surprise. We were both really attached to him, and being pregnant during the ordeal sure didn't help any! I'm not much of a crier, but this sure got to me. Our track records with cats isn't looking so great at this point...our first cat was run over and now this...we've convinced ourselves neither incident was our fault, and only the good die young, right? We lived with no cat for only a week, then decided that life sucks without something furry wandering around the house, and adopted a kitten from the Humane Society. We brought him home last night, and I explained to it that even if his life doesn't end up being long, it will be a great ride, and isn't that what counts? ;) But seriously, we are hoping this little kitten lives long and lucky, and uses those 9 lives for us. No name yet, and I'll post a picture soon. He's cute!

On the pregnancy front, I couldn't ask for a better first trimester. Honestly, I barely know I'm pregnant. I'm 11 weeks tomorrow, and I do hit the hay a little earlier, but otherwise I feel like myself. I realize that subsequent pregnancies may not be so kind, so I'm enjoying this one! Here's what's going on in my "oven:"
"Your baby, just over 1 1/2 inches long and about the size of a fig, is now almost fully formed. Her hands will soon open and close into fists, tiny tooth buds are beginning to appear under her gums, and some of her bones are beginning to harden.She's already busy kicking and stretching, and her tiny movements are so effortless they look like water ballet. These movements will become more frequent as her body grows and becomes more developed and functional. You won't feel your baby's acrobatics for another month or two — nor will you notice the hiccupping that may be happening now that her diaphragm is forming."

2 comments:

Adventures of Aaron and Jordan said...

I am sorry about your kitty

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.