CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Navidad En Bolivia

Is it too early to be talking about Christmas? I'm deciding "No." Christmas is my FAVORITE time of year, and despite the soaring temps and sunscreen, I have already started playing Christmas music, drinking spiced tea, and burning my cinnamon candle:) Ted LOVES Christmas too (he was raised in the most Christmas-happy family ever!) and was delighted to meet his match when he got in my car one October and heard festive music already blaring. It was love. Anyway, if you're like me and already have holidays on the brain, we wanted to give you an outlet to help with our ministry here in Cochabamba this year. Some of the past interns for IOU have put together a project called Navidad en Bolivia, which raises support for individual Christmas gifts for each child not only in our orphanage, but in other ministries across Bolivia. If you want more details on how you can help out, the website is www.NavidadenBolivia.info. To help our orphanage specifically, click on "The List" and we can be found under "Zona Frutillar Orphanage." We're hoping to make this Christmas the best one yet!
We celebrated Ted's 29th birthday yesterday! Our friend watched Jude while we went downtown and browsed some antique shops and had lunch, kid-free. There's a couple here from Houston who are considering coming to Cochabamba to work with IOU in the future, and we took them to Frutillar yesterday to introduce them to the kids and houseparents. Then we had a low-key dinner at home and turned in early. Didn't exactly look like the 21st birthday I'm sure, but it was a lovely day nonetheless:)
Jude has been giving us the runaround with his sleeping. I think he's changing his nap schedule, and its left us all confused. He's always been a big sleeper, 12 hours at night and 2 naps a day, each around 1.5 hours. He's been crazy though...waking up super early in the morning sometimes, not wanting his p.m. nap sometimes, then sleeping so long in the afternoon at times that I feel I can't possibly put him to bed at his usual bedtime. It's weird and I hope we figure it out soon! He's also been a very picky eater the last 2 weeks and refuses anything except peanut butter, crackers, milk, and yogurt. I worry when he won't eat healthier things or picks at his dinner and then runs off. I suppose he won't starve to death and assume its a phase, but it's sure irritating when I spend so much time and energy washing his veggies/fruits, steaming, pureeing, adding to things he supposedly likes, and then he sobs when I try and feed him. He always wins the battle, and dinner ends up looking like this:

2 comments:

Beth said...

At the risk of sounding like one of those know-it-all moms (hate that!)...I'm thinking maybe Jude is giving you the early Christmas present of toddlerhood. We found 18 months to be an especially opinionated time. Without doubt, a more than even trade for all of their new tricks that come along with it, but a challenge to navigate through the intense sleeping and eating phases nonetheless. Have I told you that Monkey only eats different varieties of hot dogs? I'm talking beef, pork, chicken, turkey and tofu. But it must be in a hot dog form. Keeps things interesting figuring it all out. Miss you guys and can't wait to give him a squeeze!

Leah Matis said...

I'm right there with you with the food and sleep routine. LJ is getting about 4 teeth in, so I'm just going to say that's why it's all goofed up!!

Congrats, congrats congrats again on the new arrival!!!! What a blessing!!

I was looking at your pics- what type of back carrying thing do you use?? Looks great!!

Hope you have fun getting in the Christmas spirit. I'm trying, but my husband shuts me down till after Thanksgiving. ahh!!

Glad you all are well.