CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Winds of Change




Lots of stuff is changing lately! Yesterday Jude turned 5 months old (I started this post last night and finished it today, hence yesterday's date!). He obediently ate his rice cereal for a few weeks and I rewarded him with his first vegetable: butternut squash. I decided I want to make his food. The reward is two-fold....he gets a healthy, natural diet, and mama gets to cook more;) I have been dying to cook for this boy since the day he was born. I think there should be a 6th "Love Language" and it should be food! If I love someone, I want to cook for them, and yesterday I danced around the kitchen and made his first real meal! I ate some of it and its pretty tasty, and he agreed. He ate it up!

We were down in Tennessee over Halloween weekend. Ted went to a men's retreat with my dad, and had a wonderful time. (thanks to all who made it so special for him!) I got to hang with my mom and Jude, and we went trick-or-treating with Renee and her girls. Jude dressed up as a lobster and I was the chef, and I made sure to get "him" lots of candy! It was especially fun because we trick-or-treated in my childhood neighborhood. It was weird to be taking my own kid to the same houses I went to when I was little. Life is flying by.
This next part deserves mention, as it has a happy ending. To make a long story short, my best friend Blair and I both made choices that separated us for a long time. Life presented us with some very different circumstances a while back. This past weekend, we had the chance to sit down together and work through it. After a major display of PDA at our reunion in a Starbucks, we spent Saturday night in front of a fire and shared a bottle of wine and a pizza and caught up on each other's lives. It was a beautiful weekend in every sense of the word...a weekend of love and forgiveness and redemption, and I finally feel like I can breathe again. Good friendships are hard to come by, and are worth fighting for and protecting. Jude was so excited to meet his Aunt Blair!


Speaking of changes....we all went to bed last night with a new President! Jude went with us to vote yesterday morning, and even got to see Daddy's ballot since he rode in on the Bjorn. Most of you know my political beliefs and know that I could talk about this for hours, but I will say this: Ted and I stood in the living room last night, watching the announcement that Obama won, and watching the enormous crowds cheering and the emotion on so many faces. No matter who you voted for, you could not help but get goosebumps when you realized that history is being made. Jude will grow up in a different world beginning with last night. Will I agree with every policy of this particular president? No. But I most certainly agree with a country that continues to evolve in its thinking and continues to make the American dream come true for those that want it. Churchill said something like "If you're old and liberal you don't have a brain; if you're young and conservative you don't have a heart." A little harsh on both ends, but I like to think I have enough heart to know Obama's election speaks to our country's past and future. And ultimately, we're not the ones in charge of this world anyway. (thank goodness!) I hope everyone has a beautiful day!

0 comments: