CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 2, 2009

I've got the month of May


I can't believe its already May! I have a feeling this month is going to fly by...every weekend is already filling up--with good things, though:) Ted ran the mini-marathon this morning. He's been training for several months and has been impressively dedicated to his training schedule, sometimes sneaking out of bed to go for 10 mile runs with his friends and back home before Jude and I even woke up in the morning! Jude and I went downtown this morning to wait for him at the finish line, and he got to watch him finish. We are insanely proud of him, he kicked some mini butt! (I've always had this theory that its important to be able to run at least a few miles, not for the health benefits but in case someone were to chase me. I'm not really sure why I think I'll ever be in a position where I'm being chased for miles by an attacker, but if it does, I'll be ready) I actually teared up a little while I was watching people cross the finish line...it was obvious that for many of them, this was a major personal accomplishment with months and months of preparation and pain and pushing themselves, and it was just really neat to see their pride, and watch them break into exhausted, happy smiles:) I wish I knew all their stories.

Anyway....we've been playing outside, like we always do when its warm enough, and sometimes even when its not. All the rain this week really put a damper on our family playtime (pun intended) but we got in some good days at some parks, and Jude got to hang with his buddies Thomas and Creighton a little, too. I managed to get some pretty adorable shots of Jude and Dad. They've become inseparable...this time together has really solidified their bond, and it gives me so much joy--deep down joy--to watch them "be boys" together.











Jude is getting more personality every day. He is quite a flirt. I never go anywhere without multiple strangers waving wildly at "me" only to turn around and discover Jude has struck up a relationship with Mr. or Mrs. Cashier/fellow shopper/hostess/person on the street. He's also beginning to wave or shake his head No when he hears the command, instead of just mirroring us when we act it out. Jude is figuring out what in the world is going on, and its cute:)
Things are going to start snowballing here in a few weeks. My friend Blair is coming to visit, then we're going to pack and move out (ugh), then we go to Chicago May 30 for a week of training. We'll be back in Indy for 4 or 5 days after that for Jude's birthday party and 1-year checkup/shots, then Nashville for a week, then we leave for good on June 17. We had our tickets to Spain booked with Delta, which doesn't fly to Bolivia, so we're flying to Lima first. Ted and I decided to stay in Lima for a couple days to catch our breath before we go to Bolivia. Whew! I hope Jude Hammy is ready to do some traveling! It seems daunting right now, but I think we'll be ready.
The past few months have been full of up's and down's. There have been more than a few trying moments, but overall I feel like our little family has landed on our feet. We knew God wouldn't let us choke, and He didn't. It's so weird....one of the most stressful times of our lives turned out to be a time that I'll look back on pretty fondly actually, a time when the 3 of us got a break from life for a while. We learned that we really don't need what we thought we did to be happy (i CAN be happy without Fiji water, who knew!?)
"God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world." C.S. Lewis

1 comments:

Beth said...

Running thirteen point one miles (AT ONE TIME), figuring out the world...all while surviving without Figi water...you all have been busy. Honestly, it worries me that if you've changed this much in the past two months, we won't recognize each other when you're home in a year. Just kidding. Kind of. I'm so proud to be your aunt/sister/in law...you all have been simply amazing. I can't wait to see what you do for people in need. They are lucky to have you. xoxo.